Features of Granite and Its Uses in Home Decor
When it comes to building materials, granite is one of the most popular ones. Today, it is used to make a number of modern and sleek structures for homes, but it is actually being used in the home improvement for several decades. When homeowners think of granite structures, the first thing that comes to their minds is countertops made of granite.
These are found in millions of homes and are preferred by many people for different reasons. It is extremely durable and can look the same after decades of use. They are not discoloured no matter how much you clean and wash them. Additionally, it is extremely easy to clean and just a wipe will make it look new effortlessly. Here are some features of granite that make it a popular building material:
- The polished and high glossy finish of granite available to be used in homes makes it a popular choice among many people. Dark, glossy granite gives a modern and sophisticated look no matter where it is used.
- The fissures that appear on granite naturally give it a beautiful look and texture. However, the best thing about them is that these fissures do not grow with time and will not cause any damage to the structure, as it grows older.
- Natural processes make granite. In simple words, granite is a rock that owes its origin to volcanic activity that led to the heating and melting of rocks under the surface of the earth. Gradually, over the years, this molten magma cooled down to form igneous rocks such as granite. The interesting process of its making gives it a unique look and quality that manmade rocks do not have.
- Therefore, an amalgamation of qualities such as beauty, uniqueness, durability, and easy maintenance makes granite a favourite to homeowners all over the world.
Most Popular Uses of Granite in Homes
- Vanity Tops in Bathrooms: Granite is one of the most suitable materials to be used in bathrooms. It is resistant to mould and damages caused by the water. It has a natural resistance to bacteria. Additionally, the glossy surface doesn’t allow the water to accumulate and this is one of the most important reasons why it is used in the bathrooms. Suitable for both small and large bathrooms, it lends a classic elegance to the area.
- Basins and Sinks: Just like vanity tops used in bathrooms, basins and sinks made of granite too have the same beneficial features. These are easy to clean and maintain. You will find different types of modern sinks and basins made of this material. Durability and long lifetime are among the many reasons why granite sinks have become popular.
- Kitchen Islands and Countertops: The popularity of kitchen islands and countertops made of granite is already mentioned before. These are resistant to water damage and do not allow the accumulation of oil and grease. Cleaning them is effortless. All you need is a wipe with a slightly damp cloth to get a new-looking countertop in your kitchen.
- Floor Tiles or Table Tops: If you do not want to go with a common marble or tiled floor, granite is a good idea for a unique look. Some people also make table tops made of granite. as they are much easier to maintain than wooden ones.
Although, these are some of the most popular uses of granite in home decor, it is an extremely versatile material. Hence, there is no limit to where and how granite can be used in homes. It adds a decorative element to the simplest of structures. Therefore, this beautiful and unyielding stone can be used wherever you want. In fact, with granite, your imagination is the limit.