Making a Quatrefoil Design Rug Yourself – DIY Ideas
The Quatrefoil design dates back to the Renaissance Period in France. It was used in the religious architectures such as churches and cathedrals. The word Quatrefoil is derived from the French words Quatre and Feuille, meaning four and leaf/sheet respectively. Quatrefoil is a conventional representation of a flower with four petals or of a leaf with four leaflets. It is a 4-loped foilation used in the ancient French architectural monuments. The Quatrefoil design is symbolic of the traditional Christian religion and has now turned into a timeless geometric form. In the modern times, this historical design has become a very popular home decorating motif.
Quatrefoil is being used as a decorative design for pillows covers, lanterns, chandelier shade covers, historical icons, stools, mirrors, pottery, chairs, windows, bedding, tables, lamps, curtain panels, wall décor, benches, dinnerware, frames and practically just about everything! Any home décor can have a quatrefoil pattern on it and give your room a serene and holy look. One can have a lot of fun with the interlocking rings that formulate this design. The introduction of colors into this pattern has added style to its ancientness.
Homes with pets, children and members with a lot of outdoor activity can make optimum use of rugs. Kids running in and out of the house with their pets can be quite a messy affair. Rugs are subjected to extreme wear and tear in these houses. With the use of rugs, one can reduce the tedious cleaning process to the minimal. Rainy days are the testing time for the rugs in the house. The mud-stained and wet foot prints can be quite a task at hand. With the introduction of rugs, carpets have a happier face now!
Nowadays, rugs are available in various shapes, sizes and colors. A variety of fabrics are used in their making, which is easy to clean and wash. However, sometimes the more attractive ones can be very expensive. However, one can design one at home just as easily as buying them from a store. The Quatrefoil design has gained popularity in rug patterns. With the help of the below mentioned supplies and procedure, one can design a quatrefoil rug for one’s home facilement.
- Scrap pieces of vinyl flooring
- White cotton cloth
- Wide paint brush
- Thin artistic paint brush
- Two colors of acrylic paints
- Tracing paper
- Lead pencil
- Duct tape
1. Cut the vinyl using a ruler and a knife to a desired size. If vinyl is unavailable in the house from previous carpentry work, one can always buy scraps from a store.
2. Measure the cotton fabric to the size intended and cut it into a square.
3. Print out the quatrefoil design from a computer. It is readily available on the internet. Enlarge it to fit the size of the cotton fabric.
4. Trace the quatrefoil design onto a tracing paper using the lead pencil.
5. Paint 2-3 coats of a vibrant colored acrylic paint. Let the fabric dry after each coat of paint and only then apply the next coat to avoid smudging.
6. Trace the pattern from the tracing paper onto the fabric, which is now ready with a vibrant color, as we have chosen a nice and bright pink. Remember to keep the pencil traced side of the tracing paper down. Start drawing on the back side of tracing paper, this will transfer the pencil lines to the fabric.
7. Darken the design with the help of an extra dark pencil, which can easily work on a cotton fabric.
8. Paint the other color (let us choose white) in the ring border of the quatrefoil design with the help of a thin brush.
9. Spread the glue on the vinyl with the help of a wide paint brush.
10. Once dry, place the fabric on the vinyl and cover it completely with the fabric. Make sure that the fabric is folded properly and glued to the vinyl.
11. Add duct tape, to strengthen the adhesive.
12. Apply a coat of Polyurethane, which will give the rug a glossy look and will help one clean the rug, just by the wipe of a cloth.
13. This is an easy method of making a simple rug at home. With the help of the above mentioned steps, you can be the owner and creator of a beautiful pink and white customized quatrefoil rug at a very low expense.